A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Tuesday 9 April 2013

A Glimpse Of Uhuru Kenyatta The Man

TUESDAY, APRIL 9, 2013 - 00:00 -- BY ANTONY KAMINJU








The first time I met President Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta in 2005, Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe’s words in his book, Things Fall Apart, echoing the African proverb that says “If a child washes his hands he could eat with kings,” came to mind.

A colleague had asked me to take pictures of the former ‘first son’ at his house on Denis Pritt Road not far from what will be his home for the next five years.

The brief was not detailed but I gathered that the pictures were meant for his publicity. He had just come out of an electioneering period in the 2002 elections where he lost to Mwai Kibaki.

When we drove into the compound, he was already outside waiting for us. I recall his warm handshake and big smile that made me feel like I knew the man before. Of course my mind was playing games with me, maybe because I had seen him on TV many times.

I had expected lots of bodyguards around the yard but there was a sense of quiet and tranquility around. We were ushered into a spatial room, which resembled a sitting lounge.

On one of the walls I noticed a huge black and white photograph of his father, the late Mzee Jomo Kenyatta. His bright eyes seemed to scrutinise each and every soul in the room.

I gazed back at it and momentarily I was lost in deep thought as my mind wandered back to interviews for a documentary whose focus had been the character and personality of Mzee Jomo Kenyatta, away from the Presidency. The documentary title was to read, Kenyatta the Man.

I had researched on those individuals who had known Kenyatta well. They included late Julius Kiano, Joseph Nyaga, Mumbi Mandoka who was a State House events secretary, Kenyatta's daughter Margaret, his co-freedom fighter Bildad Kagia and his lawyer AR Kapila.

The former First Lady, Mama Ngina Kenyatta, was not left out either. She shared her personal thoughts on for example why she married Kenyatta when she was only 19 years and Mzee was over 50 years.

All the characters had something interesting to say about Mzee, as he was famously known. They narrated episodes revolving around his personality and character that were not in public domain.

Some of the things I heard that sounded new to me was the fact that Mzee would never sleep at State House, as he believed that the big house was haunted - he commuted every day to his Gatundu residence.

The story goes that one day he had late night meetings, which prompted his security to suggest that he sleeps over in State House. He agreed but shortly thereafter went outside for a walk.

Within minutes, he burst back into the room: “Can you listen to what I have been telling you?” They listened keenly as the King had spoken. They could not hear any other noise apart from the frogs by the pond.

He demanded to be taken home to Gatundu. It was then they realised Mzee’s fear was deeper than they thought – the frogs were the ghosts Mzee had been talking about all along.

One interesting fact that Mzee was known for was not only his love for goat meat but after feasting on it, he would not wash his hands. After he was done, he would rub his hands over his hair.

He believed washing hands after eating a delicious meal of goat was like sending blessings away. We are cut short by a suggestion from Uhuru’s personal assistant Kathleen who mentioned that the now President-elect was in a hurry and I should get on to the business of taking photos quickly.

The makeup artist had taken a little bit longer on Uhuru. He confessed that he deliberately took more time as he believed it was a golden chance to chat with Uhuru as he did his work

As we got on the photo shoot, I could not help but admire his humility. He did not hesitate to adhere to my many requests on posture and dress. My mind again took a trip to 2002 when after he cast his vote, I had a chance to go to Ichiaweri, to his late father’s house in Gatundu.

As I took pictures of him I had noticed that his trousers had dirt around the knees and I asked him about it. He explained that he had woken up early that day and he had been praying for a while before going to cast his vote.

So maybe the humility that I was witnessing now had a spiritual leaning. On this day I had also noticed that beneath the shirt there was a necklace that looked like a rosary.

As we took various pictures, he changed his attire from official to traditional and casual wear. I noticed that he had an easy way with the camera unlike many politicians who seem to literally freeze whenever they face the camera.

The fact that he had asked to be photographed at his house indicated a willingness to document a part of his life. I can only hope that now that he is the President he will continue to allow those rare moments of his life and his family to be captured through the lens. Perhaps he should borrow a leaf from his father who did not seem to mind photography even at odd moments.

One of the pictures that many people might remember is one where the late Kenyatta is captured with his security detail pushing the Presidential car that was stuck at the Nakuru National Park.

US President Barrack Obama seems to be creating his own narrative as to how he wants the world to see and reflect on him. There have been pictures sent out when he is running with his daughter and their dog in the White House or one recently taken by his daughter when he is lightly kissing his wife.

These are rare moments and if captured creatively can bridge the gap of the President and the masses. All the best President Uhuru in your reign.










No comments:

Post a Comment