A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Monday 2 September 2013

When my out-of-wedlock son was brought home



Branton was born some two years ago and, even though the month he was born is a clear indication that I could not have been the father, Cate succeeded in having everyone believe that I was the father.
Branton was born some two years ago and,
even though the month he was born is a clear indication that
I could not have been the father, Cate succeeded
 in having everyone believe that I was the father. 
 In Summary
By Mwalimu Andrew

Those of you who know my Sister Yunia will remember how I supported her and her children for almost a year when she stayed with us following differences with her husband.
I wasn’t a fool. I knew that her day to revenge would come.
It arrived last week. It all had to do with Branton – Cate’s son that many people insist looks like me.
Branton was born some two years ago and, even though the month he was born is a clear indication that I could not have been the father, Cate succeeded in having everyone believe that I was the father.
When I married Fiolina, this is one of those things I hid from her but, because of her closeness with my sister Caro - who also serves as Mwisho wa Lami’s official FM station - Fiolina came to know of this and, if you remember, she threatened to leave.
I managed to convince her that the story was as a result of Caro’s ever-fertile imagination.
We all forgot about the issue until last week, a day after I travelled home, following my ill-fated Nairobi trip.
A few weeks earlier, sources closer to a source had told me that Cate would be getting married this month, although the source did not give me more details.
I later gathered that the family of Cate’s new husband were to visit her family yesterday. At no time did I ever think that this visit would affect me.
Until last Thursday.
RECALL CLAUSE
I had arrived a day before and had been sleeping, tired. That morning, I had allowed Fiolina to go to the market. She left me sleeping.
I was woken up by a call from my father. Now my father rarely calls me, so it must have been an emergency.
He said that I had visitors at home and wanted me to be at home as soon as I could. He did not elaborate. He never elaborates anything anyway.
I hurried there. In my father’s house were seated Cate, and two other women. The second woman was playing with Branton. Also in, were my parents, as well as Rumona, my sister-in-law.
Clearly, they were having some serious discussion because no one was smiling. But they all seemed to have been relieved when they saw me arrive.
“It is good the boy’s father is here,” said the woman who was playing with Branton.
I had not even settled down when my mother briefed me what was happening.
“Dre, I am happy that the people of Catharina have finally brought me my grandchild Brandoni, and we thank God for that,” she said. “We welcome him with both hands.”
“Branton is not my son,” I said but was booed down by everyone, including my parents.
“The two are photostats, how can he even deny this boy?” the first woman said, looking at me. I was quiet for some time trying to understand what was happening.
“We could have taken him without even calling you here but there is a problem and that is why we called you here,” said my father.
I asked what the problem is. “Branton is now big as you can see,” my mother said. “What do you think he has been eating?”
“I usually sent his mother money for food,” I said meekly.
“Uwongo!” shouted Cate. “You only sent me Sh450 via M-Pesa and I can show you the SMS. That is not even enough for one month’s milk,” she added, and took out her phone to show everyone.
The other women joined in saying that for the two years they had spent Sh31,350 to bring Branton up and they wanted a refund.
DISTRACTIONS
My ability to think straight was greatly affected by an SMS I received from Fiolina asking where I was. It was not common for Fiolina to send me such a text. She then called me several times but I did not pick up her calls.
I then called my sister Yunia. Her husband’s home was just two villages away, a walking distance.
My plan was that she takes Branton to her home before Fiolina finds out anything. In the meantime, I told Cate’s delegation that I could not pay such a huge amount of money.
By this time, my mother had also taken Branton, and started calling him her father’s name, and saying how Branton was our blood.
This complicated matters.
Yunia flashed me and when I called her back, she insisted that she needed to get permission from her husband. I almost asked her if her husband ever gave me permission to buy their children uniform.
Aware that we had to move with speed, I agreed to pay the amount in question but negotiated with them so that I will pay in instalments starting end of September.
“But we cannot go empty handed,” one of the women said. “Usually one has to pay a goat and chicken as a sign of appreciation.”
My father told them that paying a goat was unheard of.
“But we know about chicken and we will give you,” he said. Yunia arrived just then.
Once we agreed, I was then given Branton to hold him. He was now a big boy almost beginning to walk and there were claps all around as I received him.
FIOLINA STORMS IN
“Gosh! Mwalimu Andrew Junior anakufanana” said Rumona. The celebrations were cut short by the unexpected arrival of Fiolina.
“What’s happening here?” she asked angrily. “Tell me what is happening!”
“We are just having a short ceremony,” said my mother.
“And why am I not invited?” Fiolina asked. “And who is this boy?” she asked, pointing at Branton.”
“This is my grandson Brandoni,” said my father.
“Branton is my son,” Yunia told Fiolina. “What is wrong?”
“Mulamwa I am not a fool,” said Fiolina. “I know all your children.”
“You don’t know all of them agree.”
“Caro cannot have lied to me. She is the one who told me that Branton, who is Dre’s son, was being brought today!”
No one talked. She then faced me. “Dre, you once told me Branton is not your son, please explain this?” she said, getting hysterical, with tears rolling down her cheeks.
It is my father who ordered her to calm down, and told her to wait until the guests were gone before she could raise any problem.
Rumona led her away from the room as she cried. We then gave Cate’s people their chicken and bade them farewell. Branton cried on seeing his mother go but Yunia was able to cool him down.
ACCEPTING AND MOVING ON
My parents, Yunia and I then went into a meeting where we agreed that Yunia will take Branton to stay with him and that I would be sending her some money. My mother volunteered to handle Fiolina.
By the time we were done, Fiolina had already left. I rushed back to our rented house and found that she had packed all her belongings and left. I went back home.
“She should know that every man in Mwisho wa Lami has an outside child so whoever she gets she will still have to deal with that,” said my mother.
“I had also ran away when another child was brought but went back after realising ni kawaida,” said Yunia. “Give Fiolina a month, she will come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment