A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Thursday 3 April 2014

Former prosecutor Ocampo responds to allegations that he admittedWestern diplomats “fixed” Kenyan ICC cases




By Luis Moreno Ocampo

 Luis Moreno Ocampo, the first chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, has issued a statement saying that some Kenyan media have misused his words

to allege that in his recent interview with Radio Netherlands Worldwide he "admitted" the Kenyan cases at the ICC were "fixed". You can read his statement here.

The Hague Trials Kenya contacted Luis Moreno Ocampo last week to follow up on the interview he gave its parent organization, Radio Netherlands Worldwide (RNW), earlier this year. The first chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court responded with this statement.


On 22 January 2014, I gave an interview to Radio Netherlands Worldwide, in which I discussed my former role as prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC). I responded to a wide range of questions from the Kenyan people about the challenges I faced at that time, and decisions I took in the context of investigating and prosecuting the 2007-2008 post-election violence in Kenya.

However, since the interview was published, certain outlets in the Kenyan media have misused my words to falsely allege that during the course of that interview, I"admitted" that the current Kenya cases at the ICC were"fixed".

Unfortunately, the people of Kenya have been plied with a steady stream of inaccurate and inflammatory media reports, asserting that I "confessed"that Western diplomats "used the ICCto subvert the rights of Kenyansto choose their own leaders democratically". Nothing could be further from the truth.

To avoid any doubt, I would like to correct the public record and state categorically that such claims are incorrect.

During the interview in question, I clearly stated that it was not my role to make any pronouncements on the eligibility of Messrs. Uhuru Kenyatta or William Ruto to run for Kenya’s general election. I explained that after the Pre-Trial Chamber confirmed charges against Messrs. Kenyatta and Ruto, I flatly refused to be drawn into any discussions on whether they should be barred from contending for the presidential elections in Kenya. Rather, I have publicly and consistently stated that it was the role of Kenya’s own courts to determine who should be eligible to compete in Kenya’s elections. I maintained that it was of course only up to the Kenyan people to choose their leaders.

My interview with Radio Netherlands Worldwide was an opportunity for me to set the record straight about how I took decisions when I was the prosecutor of the ICC. As I have always stated, the decisions I took to charge the suspects – in every case, including with respect to the Kenyan cases – were based on my assessment of the evidence available at the time. I followed the evidence and in strict conformity with of the Rome Statute legal framework. However, evidence can change; for example, keywitnesses can be threatened and, as a result, they may withdraw their willingness to cooperate with the ICC process. Several other factors may also erode the evidence that a prosecutor collects during their investigation. These are complex issues that the current prosecutor must grapple with. My term as the ICC Prosecutor ended in June 2012, and I am no longer involved in these cases.

To be perfectly clear, my comments to Radio Netherlands Worldwide concerned my refusal to get involved in political matters. I hope Kenyan journalists will publish this clarification and will abstain from repeating inaccuracies about my statement. The people of Kenya, including the victims of the 2007-2008 post-election violence, deserve no less.

Watch the full-length Ocampo Exclusive video interview.

The opinions expressed here are those of their author and are not intended to reflect those of The Hague Trials Kenya. Have an opinion you would like to share? Leave a comment below, emailthehaguetrialskenya@rnw.orgor join the discussion on Facebookand Twitter.

[thehaguetrials.co.ke]  thehaguetrials.co.ke

No comments:

Post a Comment