A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Monday 29 April 2013


Former minister revealed his worst and best decision

  SHARE BOOKMARKPRINTRATING
Minister for Education Mutula Kilonzo speaks during the release of last year's KCPE results at the KNEC Headquarters in Nairobi on January 28, 2013. Photo/SALATON NJAUMinister for Education Mutula Kilonzo speaks during the release of last year's KCPE results at the KNEC Headquarters in Nairobi on January 28, 2013. Photo/SALATON NJAU  NATION MEDIA GROUP

Posted  Sunday, April 28  2013 
IN SUMMARY
  • In July, 2005 MUTULA KILONZO, then nominated MP and Kanu Shadow Justice minister shared with our writer Kitavi Mutua his best and worst decisions. Below is what he said.
  • Decision to accept nomination to Parliament ‘worst mistake, so far’
BEST DECISION:
While still a teenager in 1966, I vowed to pursue my ambition of being a lawyer. I was a Form Two student at Machakos Boys High School. That has been my best decision to date.
At the time, I was better off in science subjects like mathematics, physics and chemistry than in arts and social studies. Ideally, I should have proceeded to take a science related course at the university.
But on the advice of my teachers, and with my inclination to the philosophy of law, I decided to take History as a major subject in my ‘A’ levels so as to prepare for my chosen career.
On completing my secondary education, I joined the University of Dar-es-Salaam in Tanzania in 1969. I graduated with a
First Class honours degree in law — the first in East Africa. My purpose was to live and not just to exist. I also wanted to succeed in life. Later, I joined the Kenya School of Law, alongside students like Philip Waki, Omollo, Alouch and Githinji. I was determined to fulfil my dream.
In 1975, after completing my postgraduate course at law school, I established what is today Kilonzo and Company Advocates, one of the most reputable firms in East Africa. Since then, even though my actual contribution to the society has not been very visible, I derive a lot of joy from assisting a client out of a dubious legal problem.
After setting up the firm, I grew on to become President Moi’s legal adviser, besides representing many prominent people in Kenya. These are rare feats in a lawyer’s career.
Throughout my life I have cherished the God-given right to independence of the human mind, where no one can thinks on someone else’s behalf. I realised that I can only exercise this freedom by practising law. That is why I always insist that I cannot negotiate the freedom of my mind.
WORST DECISION
I have made several bad moves in my legal career, some of which I have been able to overcome with time. However, I consider my decision to accept nomination to Parliament after the last General Election (2002) as the worst mistake, so far.
I realised much later that the status of Kenyan politics has very little room for independent minded people. I would have resigned by now had I gone to Parliament through an election.
I have twice turned down similar offers in the past. Kanu first asked me to contest for a political seat in 1992, which I declined. After the first multi-party elections, the party offered me a seat in Parliament as a nominated MP, which again I declined.
Come the 1997 elections, a nomination to Parliament was offered again, but I stood my ground as I never considered myself a politician. I could not figure out how politics would fit into my schedule.
Still, after the 2002 elections, Kanu nominated me to Parliament as an MP without consulting me. Party leader Uhuru Kenyatta must have been told by Kanu officials not to ask me. He just presented my name. After the list was announced, I decided to take up the challenge.
Once my name was there, I considered it an opportunity to revamp Kanu into a stronger, cleaner and focused party that can offer credible and constructive opposition to the government.
I regret the move as I have failed in this regard. I could not stop Kanu MPs from crossing over to the government side, hence dividing the party.
It embarrasses me to read and hear foreign diplomats criticising the government over its failures, when the opposition is there to do that. Kanu alone has 68 MPs. What are we doing? I feel like I have completely failed.
The opposition is asleep, which is why foreign envoys are constantly pointing fingers at the government. The Narc government has tried to intimidate me into silence but my independence cannot allow such a move to succeed. I shall die fighting for what I believe in.
The Kenya Revenue Authority has attached my parliamentary salaries and allowances over allegedly unpaid taxes amounting to millions of shillings. For the past 18 months, I have been the only MP who is not taking a salary home.
Every penny goes to KRA. Had I gone to Parliament through an election, or to seek money, I would have resigned or succumbed to pressure by now.
Certain ministers have even approached me with offers to waive the KRA claims in return for my co-operation with the government, but I have always said No.
I have also decided not to pursue the matter in court because I believe I’m being victimised for my firm stand. Let them have the money as I continue advocating good governance. I believe the Ninth Parliament has failed.
How can one justify a system where MPs earn about Sh500,000 a month while unemployment and poverty are at a peak
?

No comments:

Post a Comment