After conducting a raid on the hotel, police uncovered an AK-47 rifle, grenades, mobile phones and two fresh human heads still oozing blood, the BBC Swahili. Six women and four men were arrested in connection with the crime.

Police were informed of “suspicious activities” in the hotel by nearby residents prior to launching their operation.

“Every time I went to the market, I observed strange activities going on in the hotel. People who were never cleanly dressed and who looked a bit strange made their way in and out of the hotel, making me very suspicious of their activities. I am not surprised at the shocking revelation,” said one of the residents.

A local priest was reportedly revolted by what was discovered as he had recently visited the restaurant.

“I had gone to the restaurant early in the morning for breakfast. I finished my meal and was served with the bill, only to be shocked by the ₦700 (sh10,532) charged”, he said.

“The attendant noticed my reaction and told me it was the small piece of meat I had eaten that made the bill scale that high. I did not know I had been served with human meat, and that it was that expensive,” he said.