A dream doesn't become reality through magic. It takes sweat, determination and hard work.

Friday 5 December 2014

STATEMENT BY UHURU KENYATTA ON THE WITHDRAWAL OF THE CASE AT THE ICC


I have learnt that the Prosecutor of the International
Criminal Court has withdrawn the case against me. I
am excited by this news, which I have awaited ever
since the day my name was announced to the world
in connection with the case. I am also deeply
relieved by this decision, which is overdue by 6
years.
I have repeatedly declared my innocence to the
people of Kenya and the whole world. I repeat this
even now: as relates the incidents comprising the
Kenyan cases at the ICC, my conscience is
absolutely clear.
It has always been my position that the Kenyan
cases at the ICC were rushed there without proper
investigation or preparation, and sustained by a
strong interest to stigmatise accused persons. As
an institution of the international community,
victims of serious crimes and people around the
world had a right to expect the Court to dispense
justice with integrity and without undue
considerations. For the Prosecutor to sustain an
obviously deficient case for so long demonstrates
beyond doubt the intensity of pressure exerted by
improper interests to pollute and undermine the
philosophy of international justice.
There is no justice when human rights clubs and an
international tribunal conspire to betray victims of
human rights abuses and persecute the innocent.
The tragedy of this travesty is beyond words.
The victims in this case will get no satisfaction from
the ICC, owing to the Prosecutor’s decision to
compromise a quest for justice in favour of political
considerations. This is an incomparable tragedy.
Just as the ICC failed me, it has also failed the
victims of the 2007-2008 post-election violence.
They were killed, maimed, displaced, dispossessed
and utterly traumatized. I have been victimized,
libeled and senselessly profiled by the same
defective process.
The Government of Kenya has sustained its efforts
to restitute and reintegrate the victims of the PEV as
best as it can. Our justice system continues to
process the cases which have been instituted. I
have supported these efforts because ultimately, the
victims must get justice. The world may have failed
them, but they will not be let down at home.
The Prosecutor opted to selectively pursue cases in
a blatantly biased manner that served vested
interests and undermined justice. As a result, the
Court has had to pay a steep reputational price,
which it will continue to face unless a serious and
systemic rethinking of the International Justice
framework is undertaken.
My brother and deputy, Hon. William Ruto, as well
as Mr Joshua Sang continue to face their accusers
at the ICC with a clear conscience. With me, they
have been steadfast in declaring their innocence. I
am confident that they will be vindicated in due
course. I stand with them, and will support them
and pray with them until that time. As my deputy
and principal assistant, William Ruto is an
indispensable asset in my Government. I look
forward to the day when we shall not have the
distraction of the trials, so that we can continue
delivering our transformational agenda to the people
of Kenya.
I thank the people of Africa and all their leaders
who, through the Africa Union, demonstrated robust
and unflinching support by word and deed, in the
true spirit of African brotherhood. Your solidarity
has deeply touched and inspired me. I urge you to
continue supporting us as we give my Brother
William Ruto and his co-accused, Joshua Sang
support and solidarity to confront the last
outstanding case.
Fellow Kenyans, I thank each and everyone of you
for your support, prayers, words of encouragement
and best wishes. God has net let us down. God will
never let us down. As we promised, we have not,
and shall never let the cases sully our sovereignty,
or get in the way of managing the affairs of our
nation.
Thank you, and may God bless you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment